24 May 2010

Introduction to Angela Fournier

Angela Fournier is the title character of my new release, Angela 1: Starting Over, the first of three novels set in Sargasso Beach, my fictional suburb of Corpus Christi, Texas.

Her story came to me on a Saturday in 2005 and never let me rest until I began to write it. I was taking an all-day workshop on getting books published and the teacher spent the morning talking about how to put a good book project together. At lunch the three books just popped into my head so I madly sketched out characters, locale, and an overall plot line for all three in order to get back to the workshop on time and not forget my inspiration.

I began writing the first book immediately in the evenings after work and in summer and at other odd times. Then there was a four-year odyssey of finding a publisher. During that time I wrote the second book, Angela 2: The Guardian of the Bay. The third book isn't written yet, but it's all planned out.

Angela Fournier is a typical 15-year-old in most ways. She is insecure and doesn't believe the good things people tell her about herself. She is sad because her parents just divorced and she moved to a new town and a new school when the book opens. Angela has a striking appearance and a debilitating smile, but she is only aware that she looks unusual and worries about it. She is a dancer and Honors student, but only because her mom, a new librarian at the Sargasso Beach public library, signed her up without her knowledge. She is unusually mature for her age, loves to learn, and cares more about her friends than what people think of her.

Her two best friends are Fiona Banbury and Benjie Cooper. All three keep getting in trouble, Angela because the principal and mean girls have it in for her, Fiona because she knows more than just about everyone around her, and Benjie because of his fiery personality. The friends discover evidence of corruption in school board contracts and naively set about to make the board and contractors live up to what they profess, not knowing how they are likely to get hurt in the process.

That's probably enough about Angela for now. If you want to know more, see my publisher's web site at www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/Angela1.html

I will post more from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Profe! I've been watching your YouTube interviews...very cool. Best of luck with Angela!
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Regan. You are very kind, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, I apologize for not getting to Angela yet, but I will this summer and that's a promise. I teach and write fiction with a passion when I can find the time, and I read and write more over the summer. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I want to read Angela over the summer and see if it is a book I will use next year. I may be interested in the series. Barb

    ReplyDelete